I'm gonna be HAPPY :)


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, July 19, 2009

The houses time forgot with my thoughts.... (originally written Jan 26, 09 and copied from my Myspace blog)

(scroll down to view more pictures of houses I saw on my journey)


Over the course of the past few weeks, I have made several trips from my home in VA to my parents in MD. The trip is approximately 200 miles and takes about 4 hours to drive. That is with minimal stops, no heavy traffic, and doing just above the speed limit. Well I typically drive at night so the scenery is mostly trees on the side of a dark road and other vehicles. I drive the same route every time by using the Interstate, local highways and long country roads. The past few trips, I decided to drive during the day time. I didn't realize all I had been missing driving at night. When I got on to the local highway and continued my journey down the country roadways, I began to notice the beautifully landscaped countryside. By that I mean houses that time forgot and echoes of a long ago past. I have a sincere passion and appreciation for old and antique buildings. The roads I was travelling on had some of the most beautiful estates, houses and even barns that showed the scars of time. The ones that touched me the most were homes that were obviously once beautiful now left alone to sit and remind us of the past.Not my past but someones past. I would like to think that once upon a time, there were happy memories and family bonding in those houses. Houses that people once called home. What happened to them? Why is this once beautiful house just left to waste away? Why didn't someone want it or why wasn't it taken care of? I know I will never know the answers to these questions. Those houses are still beautiful to me regardless of what time has left it with.


This had me thinking even further about the old cliche "you can't take it with you". That is referring to when you pass on, you can't take valuables and "things" with you. In light of my Grandma passing recently, she left behind a lot of beautiful furniture, jewelry, and possessions she once treasured. I haven't asked my parents about the Will since it is not something I am ready for. I was thinking about how there are people out there who are so greedy, they hope for people to die so they can inherit money and possessions. I don't understand people like that. If I had to trade an exuberant amount of money for the memories I shared with my Grandma, I would turn it down in a heartbeat. There is something you CAN take with you when you go. The value of life, love and happiness is far more valuable than any amount of money or things. It is PRICELESS! Those memories I hold so close to my heart and they will go with me one day when it is my turn to leave this earth. They mean more to me than anything that could be given to me and I wouldn't trade them for the world.


There is a photo album at my parent's house full of pictures from my Grandma's life. They contain pictures of her relatives from her childhood in to her adult life and beyond. I had always wanted to sit with my Grandma and have her tell me who some of the people were. It was obvious the pictures were very old and some were even taken in Czechoslovakia. Now that she is gone, I will never know who those people are. I know who a lot of the people are in most of the pictures but for the ones I don't know, I lost the chance to find out. That information went with my Grandma when she died and there is no one left who can tell me.


Life is so short and unpredictable. I often over-analyze things sometimes but my heart is in the right place. I can't wait to pass on the things I know to my children and grandchildren one day. I find it valuable to be able to hang on to your family roots as much as you can. I know my Grandma had a great life and had wonderful memories she took with her. Living a fulfilling and happy life is all we can ask for. Your life, memories and love will go with you.....









2 comments:

  1. Karen- I love it!!!!! Great writing, I felt like I was right there with you. Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In some way you were with me Sarah. I was on the phone with you when I took the pictures. :) Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think....

My Mom is a neverending song in my heart. I may forget the words but I will always remember the tune